Thursday, August 6, 2009

If you give a dog an ice cream sandwich...she will ask for the triple chocolate variety.


Sasha, our lovely and loyal dog, loves food. She really loves food. She loves food so much that if you have food she will love you too. I am happy to be on her good side so Denney has taught me to leave the last bite on my plate for Sasha, and the dog/owner relationship continues in harmony. If she feels I might forget she will demurely come and beg as I'm scraping out the last bite. Smart girl.

There is one snack around which Sasha cannot control herself: the Blue Bunny Ice Cream Sandwich. Bless her heart, this dog loses control when we start to peel the blue and white wrapper and bite the chocolate wafers surrounding the vanilla ice cream. On one occasion, back when I was 8 months pregnant and Sasha was the sole object of my attention during the day, I took too long to eat my portion. I think I was wrapped up in The Ellen Show while I waited for the ice cream to thaw. Before I knew what the heck was going on Sasha's stealth little snout snuck in and stole a lick off my sandwich! Blurg. It hasn't happened again.

Today Sasha's freak was freaked. Denney did the Wal-Mart grocery run on his way home. In the middle of the back to school crowd and waiting 18 minutes in line (I trust his numbers are accurate, being the financial analyst that he is) he switched it up on us. He bought the Blue Bunny Ice Cream Triple Chocolate Sandwich; dark chocolate, white chocolate, and milk chocolate ice cream between two vanilla wafers. Oh snap.

It was a hit. So now, assuming Sasha's taste buds are as discerning as Denney's, I can imagine Sasha will be begging for the Triple Chocolate from now on.

BTW, if you're thinking, "Denney went to the grocery store. Isn't that HER job?!" Yes, it is. I'll get better.

2 comments:

Julie said...

careful with chocolate!! not good for puppies!!

Lydia said...

Julie, Good point! Sasha has been eating that last bite of ice cream sandwiches for many many years, and has still thrived, but it is a good thing to be cautious about what our precious doggies eat!