Friday, August 28, 2009

Motherhood

I can see why mothers choose to co-sleep with their babies. I am personally a reckless sleeper, and don't feel its safe for my baby to sleep next to ME, but I admire those mom's who do so. It must be the most beautiful, peaceful, and sweet gift to those little babies who sleep next to their mommies:)

A few times I've enjoyed what I think would be the best part of co-sleeping, and that is laying next to my baby as she falls asleep. Tonight was one of those nights as Sylvie, with her paci in place and pink blankie swaddling her, laid next to me on our bed and quietly drifted into sleep. I pretended to be sleeping, peeking frequently to check on her status with our noses almost touching. Her sweet little sighs lulled her to sleep and her beautiful blue eyes staring at mine in the dark made sure I was still there. Ah...sweet sweet Sylvie. I couldn't resist engaging her stare to let her know that I really see her, and am there for her.



While Sylvie never needs this much help falling asleep anymore, I was happy to have helped her tonight. I put her to bed three times tonight (what's up with that?!), but each time got sweeter. She knows how to fall asleep on her own, but more importantly, she's knows she is surrounded by parents who are devoted to her, and who care about her little world. (though making sure she could easily fall asleep by herself was up there;)


So now, I'm the only one awake in the Keegan house, sitting right smack dab in the middle of the sofa, with a pretty dog on my left, nothing to my right, Seinfeld on the TV, and a belly full of triple fudge ice cream. None of these things make me smile as much as the memory of watching my baby fall asleep. I don't think I could kiss her cheeks enough, or hold her enough, or ever tire of the gift of her beautiful smile.

Her Papa did a great job falling asleep tonight. I know you were wondering:) He passed out at 7:00 after a long week at his new position. His duties as a Senior Treasury Analyst really takes it out of him, but I think our trip to Wal-Mart for groceries really did him in;)


-Peace


1 comment:

Lanier Desk said...

Lydia ~ this is such a sweet and beautifully penned picture of motherhood. AH! How blessed you are!! The one thing that will make this picture complete is - one day - when you listen to Sylvie (or another little Keegan)express her love and care for her own child. Thank you for this gift!!
I cried with joy! AND it made me think again of those precious moments with my own daughter!